It's a great recipe to make if you have a vegetarian friend coming over, OR if you just want a delicious meal! We always ate ours right away, but apparently they do freeze well.
All you need is two eggplants, any kind of tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan:
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise (so you have long strips, not circular pieces). Try to slice them pretty thin.
- Dip a slice in flour, then whisked eggs, then bread crumbs.
- Fry about 4 minutes each side. You want them to be fairly soft after this. (You can bake them for a healthier option).
- I continued to do the above with all the eggplants while I assembled the casserole as described below.
- Tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan. (In the above photo I did two 9x9 pans.)
- Then repeat: a layer of eggplant pieces, tomato sauce on top, sprinkle Parmesan and mozzarella (I think I did three layers). I ended with the cheese but did more mozzarella on the very top than I had inbetween layers.
- I didn't layer the eggplant pieces in the same place, which you could do if you wanted to be able to take out a single eggplant portion. I figured I would try and make more of a solid eggplant casserole and cut it into servings, which seemed to work.
- Bake it for around 30 minutes at 350F. I then broiled it a couple minutes at the end to get the cheese a little crispy.